ITEMS -  TOTAL  check order

A Pictorial Atlas of the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway

A Pictorial Atlas of the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway
Part 1: Introduction and Main Line North, Part 2: Main Line South and the Branches

Richard Harman and Neil Parkhouse

468 pages. 275x275mm. Two volumes printed on gloss art paper with colour laminated board covers, presented in a colour laminated board slip case..

ISBN13 : 9781915069252


A fresh new look at the Somerset & Dorset Railway, which, by means of detailed maps, follows the main line from Bath Green Park to Broadstone Junction. The journey on to Bournemouth West, on L&SWR/SR metals, is then included, after which we travel along the branches, from Evercreech Junction to Burnham-on-Sea (the original main line), Wells and Bridgwater. There are track plans and signalling diagrams for every location, all in colour. The maps are enlivened by a superb range of 1950s and ‘60s colour slides, picture postcards issued between the early 1900s and 1930, and early 19th century photographs, the majority of which have never been published before. As well as the stations passed along the way, time is also taken to study the industries and collieries the S&D served, plus the Company’s Works and wharf at Highbridge. Together, these two volumes present a comprehensive picture of a much-loved cross-country railway which sadly is now just a memory.

A Pictorial Atlas of the Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway - Sample Images

sample book illustration
As fine a period view of an S&DJR station as you are likely to see, this postcard view of Shepton Mallet was again taken by the photographers Chapman & Son of Dawlish. During a quiet moment between trains, the
sample book illustration
Strictly limited edition of 1500 copies – the cost of production prohibits a second print run ever being done.Over three decades later and providing us with our second sighting of No. 2204 in quick succession, in the exact same spot as No. 3194. Taken on 21st July 1962, the photographer recorded this as an empty stock (ECS) working, the 1.15pm train having been extended to Burnham (W/SO). It had returned ECS but there appear to be some passengers on the footplate! The wooden shed in the foreground of the view left has gone and been replaced with more allotments. Both pictures show the 4-ton crane in the GWR yard and note that the Western Region had removed the ‘G’ from GWR on the Goods Office signboard. On the right is the private siding and chimney of Highbridge Brickworks, which was started by brothers George and Frank Pitts in the late 1860s. The works was rail connected from 1877 (a PSA was signed on 19th October), with a broad gauge siding being laid in off the ex-Bristol & Exeter Railway main line, the B&ER