1 June 1839 Gloucester Journal Thomas Williams, 23, at work at a coal shaft named Duck’s Pit and was occupied in fastening a chain to a skip wagon in which the coals are hauled to the surface, when he slipped and fell to the bottom of the pit, a distance of 60 yards.  Killed on the spot.

4 December 1884  Messrs. J. Chivers & Co. of Hawkwell Tinplate works worried about damage which may be caused by Messrs. Jenkins and Parsons of the Duck Colliery.

1 August 1885  Jenkins and Parsons Duck Colliery agreement with reciever.  Had trespassed into Victory Colliery owned by Mr. Goodrich Langham.

26 June 1891 DFM    James Webb, 66, underground manager at Duck Colliery of the Lydney & Crump Meadow.  Pit 8' diameter, iron wire guides

1898  Great Western license for a tramroad to Whimsey runs out.  Lydney & Crump Meadow to take over to move pit timber from saw mills at Bilson to Duck - not done, line in very poor condition not much coal left in Duck Pit.

1908 Potts Mining Register  Lydney & Crump Meadow Collieries Co. Ltd.
60 employed below ground, 11 above.

13 May 1910 Dean Forest Mercury Break in at engine house.  Oil engine damaged.

17 June 1910 Dean Forest Mercury Report on a fatality.

11 November 1911 Dean Forest Mercury Fire.  About 10 o’clock on Monday morning at the Duck Colliery.  At the pit-head there has been for some time a 30 or 40 horsepower oil engine for the purpose of underground haulage by means of cables.  Engineman James Davis.  By some means ignition valve failed to act and petrol from the small supply tank ignited and escaped.  Engine house soon in flames and ashes.  No one injured and a good supply of water on hand with plenty of helpers.  Chances of a great disaster as a large storage tank of petrol just outside the building.  This was got out of the way.  Exertions then moved to saving the screens, pit-head gear etc. saved by playing the company’s hose continuously on it.  No hope for engine house or contents.  The massive engine was for most part saved although it became red hot and in any case must be greatly damaged if not useless.  Mr. Hale the manager and Mr. Wood the under manager.  As the pit supplies a great part of the local and ‘country’ trade steps were immediately taken to make the underground arrangements as effective as possible so the Colliery should not be stopped.

Depth to Churchway Highdelf 109 yards.