Branch Lines to Maldon

cover illustration
Branch Lines to Maldon

Peter Paye

256 pages. 275x215mm. Printed on gloss art paper with colour laminated board covers.

ISBN13 9781911038160

£30.00


contents and extra information for this book »

The ancient town of Maldon on the River Blackwater in Essex was served by two branch lines which enjoyed vastly differing fortunes. The initial scheme, the Maldon, Witham & Braintree Railway, authorised in 1846 to develop the former harbour and encourage the flow of agricultural traffic and coal, was absorbed by the Eastern Counties Railway who deceitfully promised dividends of 8 to 10 per cent. The line opened to traffic in October 1848 but no effort was made to deepen the Blackwater. Following the formation of the Great Eastern Railway in 1862, improvements were made to the Maldon branch over the years, leading to an increase in population as industry was encouraged. Then, in 1883, the GER promoted their ‘New Essex Lines’ scheme, constructing railways from Shenfield to Southend with a branch from Wickford to Southminster – from whence another branch ran from Woodham Ferrers to Maldon. This second branch to Maldon opened in October 1889, but through services were limited to one train in each direction on Saturdays and were withdrawn in 1895. Whilst traffic continued to grow on the Witham to Maldon East branch, the same could not be said of the new line. The London & North Eastern Railway initially persevered, but despite costcutting measures admitted defeat and withdrew the passenger services from Woodham Ferrers soon after the outbreak of World War Two, the line remaining open for freight between Maldon East and Cold Norton until 1953. In the meantime, the original branch, having main line connections, continued to offer a good service, but as travelling patterns changed so receipts diminished. Passenger services were withdrawn in September 1964 and goods traffic from April 1966.

Branch Lines to Maldon - Sample Images

cover illustration

The timber viaducts on the Witham to Maldon East branch precluded the use of heavy locomotives over the branch and in BR days the line was allocated Route Availability 3 (RA3). Here ‘F5’ class 2-4-2T No. 67191 heads the 2-coach 11.05am Maldon East to Witham train across Sauls viaduct No. 871 on Saturday 9th May 1953. G.R. Mortimer cover illustration

Two-car Derby lightweight DMU forming a Down working from Witham entering the bay platform at Maldon East. The bay is being used because a train of covered vans occupies the main platform road. The late B.D.J. Walsh

BDL Direct

You can order books or subscribe to journals from this website - using our shopping trolley and secure order forms.

Visa Credit payments supported by WorldPayMaestro payments supported by WorldPayMastercard payments supported by WorldPay
American Express payments supported by WorldPayJCB payments supported by WorldPay

WorldPay Payments Processing

UK POSTAGE
On all orders :
up to £10.00 - £2.00
£10.01 to £30.00 - £4.00
over £30.00 - £6.00

OVERSEAS POSTAGE
Please contact us for details of postage costs at : info@lightmoor.co.uk


Your Order
 ITEMS in your basket
TOTAL   (inc. UK postage)

check order

terms & conditions

NEWS

Check out the latest issues from Black Dwarf Lightmoor on our
New Publications Page


Updated : 03 July 2017