ITEMS -  TOTAL  check order

Railway Archive Issue 9

cover illustration
Railway Archive Issue 9


96 pages. 275x215mm. .

SSN 1477-5336 09

£7.50

Contents: The Railway in the Landscape, p. 2; The Railways of King¹s Heath 1835-1969 by Barrie Geens, p. 5; Gas By Rail: Part 1: Early Chlorine Tanks by Peter Fidczuk, p. 43; The Cambrian Railways Photographs of H.W. Burman: Part 3 by Mike Christensen, p. 51; The Roberts Collection: Part 7: All At Sea by Phil Coutanche, p. 59; The Railway Photographs of E. Pouteau: Part 9: The Great Western Railway Part 4: The Highland Railway, Hull & Barnsley Railway & The Isle of Wight by John Alsop, p. 65; Wish You Were Here? Railway Postcards of West Sussex by John Alsop, p. 89

Railway Archive Issue 9 - Sample Images

cover illustration
From 'The Cambrian Railways Photographs of H.W. Burman Pt 3': Barmouth Junction East signal cabin – a fine photograph and one clearly posed for Burman – the tablet pouch that the signalman is holding does not have a tablet in it! The East cabin was opened in 1892 and it was closed as part of a rationalisation authorised by the GWR on 9 October1929. Faced with mounting costs of the wages bill after the Great War and after a critical review of the lightly-used lines which it had inherited at the Grouping, the GWR replaced the North cabin (just visible in the distance to the right of the box steps) with one capable of holding a larger frame and closed the East cabin. Through running from the Machynlleth to Dolgelley direction (and vice versa) had not been possible since the closure of the South cabin by the Cambrian more than a decade earlier. It was no loss, being a facility almost never used, certainly after the Great War. The curve itself was retained, albeit as a siding, so that a triangle of lines still existed. It was used almost to the end of steam traction for turning locomotives – the procession of engines coming across Barmouth viaduct (sometimes coupled together) to turn on busy days was a delight to behold (though not so much of a delight for the operators). As built and depicted here, the south loop was signalled to passenger standards, with full-height signals and locks on the facing points. Unusually, the rising bar for the Facing Point Lock (FPL) was on the outside of the rail and so can barely be seen but its presence is indicated by the drive bar visible on the inside of the rail head, reaching from the FPL back towards the controlling signal. The end veranda of the signal cabin had been constructed to allow the signalman to reach out to exchange train tablet/staff with the footplate crew on the lines either side. Thus the glass panel of the storm screen to the entrance door (and that was no luxury in this location) was in the centre of the veranda, not to one side. Andrew Swift Collection