ITEMS -  TOTAL  check order

Railway Archive Issue 50

cover illustration
Railway Archive Issue 50


96 pages. 275x215mm. .

SSN 1477-5336 50

£9.75

Contents: The Railways at Trentham Part 2: The Trentham Park Branch, the Trentham Gardens Miniature Railway and the LM&SR and BR Eras at Trentham Station by ALLAN C. BAKER & MIKE G. FELL, page 3; Alterations at Three Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Tunnels: The Midland Connection by JEFFREY WELLS, page 25; The London & North Western Railway’s Motor-Fitted Trains and F.W. Webb’s 4ft 6ins Tank Engines by BILL AVES, page 33; A.C. Johnstone: Railway Photographer Part 8: The L&SWR in 1913-1914 by PETER TATLOW, page 45; ‘Down Postal’ page 52; The First Three Cylinder Locomotive by PETER TOWNEND, page 53; The Hopwood Collection 1901-1926 Part 22: Alpha and Omega – The Beginning and the End by THE REVEREND CANON BRIAN ARMAN, page 59; Operational Oddities at Midford S&D by MIKE ARLETT, page 69; The Wellingborough Smash Friday 2nd September 1898 by GILES BROWN, page 75; Fly Shunted: Brough Station, July 1869 by Stephen Rowson & Michael Lewis, page 84; Wish You Were Here? Railway Postcards of South Staffordshire by JOHN ALSOP, page 85

Railway Archive Issue 50 - Sample Images

cover illustration
From 'The Hopwood Collection 1901-1926 Part 22: Alpha and Omega' : One of England’s most historic and beautiful cities is unquestionably York. It is also a site of great ecclesiastical and civic importance, and was an early target for the expanding railway network, especially those lines controlled by George Hudson, himself a citizen of the city. York’s fi rst railway terminus was a temporary affair opened on 30th May 1839 but it was replaced by the buildings seen here, opened with great celebrations on 4th January 1841. Positioned inside the city wall, they afforded easy access to the town and Minster, which is just visible in the left background. York’s importance as a pivotal railway junction, however, ensured that this small, cramped and inadequate terminus would have a relatively short life and it was replaced by the present magnifi cent edifi ce in 1877. The old station continued to be used for goods and stock stabling for many subsequent years, as this view taken on 11th July 1925 demonstrates. LCGB REF. NO. H2019