ITEMS -  TOTAL  check order

Railway Archive Issue 49

cover illustration
Railway Archive Issue 49


96 pages. 275x215mm. .

SSN 1477-5336 49

£9.75

Contents: The Railways at Trentham Part 1: Trentham Station, the Dukes of Sutherland and the Florence Colliery Railway by ALLAN C. BAKER & MIKE G. FELL, page 3; The Hopwood Collection 1901-1926 Part 21: Porcelain, Iron & Coal – Three ‘Great Little Railways’ of England by THE REVEREND CANON BRIAN ARMAN, page 25; ‘Down Postal’, page 36; Fly Shunted: Symond’s Yat c1885, page 36; Aspects of the Hull & Barnsley Railway Part 4: The Passenger Stations by NICK DEACON, page 37; A.C. Johnstone: Railway Photographer Part 7: The Eastern Group – On GCR, GNR and GER Lines in 1913-1914 by PETER TATLOW, page 73; Wish You Were Here? Railway Postcards of Hampshire by JOHN ALSOP, page 79

Railway Archive Issue 49 - Sample Images

cover illustration
From 'Aspects of the Hull & Barnsley Railway Part 4' : A busy view of South Cave station circa 1910. H&BR Class ‘A’ 0-8-0 ‘Tiny’ No. 119 with an eastbound loaded coal train of ‘best Yorkshire’ is held at the Home signal, prior to tackling the 1 in 150 ascent to the summit at Little Weighton, while a westbound 0-6-0 heading a lengthy train of mineral empties pauses to take on water at the platform column. The Class ‘A’ 0-8-0s were rostered to haul forty-five fully loaded 10-ton coal wagons plus a 20-ton brake van (a gross load maximum of 780 tons) between Cudworth and Alexandra Dock, and to return with 65 empties – considerably more than that allowed for 0-6-0 types. No. 119 was the third of the class of fi fteen built, in March 1907. It became NER No. 3119 in 1923 and then L&NER No. 2500 in July 1924, with reclassifi cation to ‘Q10’ in June 1927. The class had short lives under the L&NER, however, all being withdrawn in 1931, No. 2500 going in May. South Cave’s staggered platforms are well illustrated here. Interestingly, a footbridge is shown on the signalling diagram below but there is no evidence that one ever existed here from these pictures, nor does it appear on the 1890 25 inch OS depicting the station. The footpath in the right foreground leads to the road overbridge. MICK NICHOLSON COLLECTION