ITEMS -  TOTAL  check order

Railway Archive Issue 20

cover illustration
Railway Archive Issue 20


80 pages. 275x215mm. .

SSN 1477-5336 20

£7.50

Contents: The Locomotives of William Dean: Part One by Peter Treloar, p. 3; Admiralty Coal Traffic in WW1: The 'Jellicoe' Trains Part Two by Keith Turton, p. 21; Southern Railway of the 1930s from the camera of S.A.W. Harvey: Excursion Traffic by Jim Greaves, p. 47; The Photographs of E. Pouteau: Part 20: The North London, North Staffordshire, Plymouth Devonport & South Western Junction, Rhondda & Swansea Bay, Rhymney, Somerset & Dorset Joint and Taff Vale Railways by John Alsop, p. 61; Wish You Were Here? Railway Postcards of the L&SWR in Devon by Neil Parkhouse, p. 73

Railway Archive Issue 20 - Sample Images

cover illustration
From 'The Ponteau Listings': The hub of the L&SWR network in Devon was Exeter, with the company having their own station at Queen Street, opened on 19th July 1860. As well as the main line arriving from London Waterloo, branches also radiated out from here serving Exmouth to the south and to Barnstaple, Ilfracombe and the North Cornwall coast to the north. This circa 1908 view of Queen Street yard gives a flavour of the goods traffic handled by the company in the county; cattle vans at the pens on the extreme right, a range of vans and opens for perishables and general goods in the centre, and a run of assorted open wagons loaded with stone or ballast on the left. Behind them, a couple of rakes of carriage stock await their next turn of duty in the carriage sidings. The bridge spanning the yard carries New North Road, whilst the stationís overall roof can be seen beyond. The overall roof disappeared when Queen Street station was substantially rebuilt in the early 1930s and renamed Exeter Central, in which guise, albeit much rationalised, it remains open today. A large brick signal box, Exeter Central ĎAí was built to control this end of the station and its approaches, sited approximately where the nearer line of wagons are standing. Closed in 1985 when control was passed to a new power box at Exeter St Davidís, it was retained for a time as an instruction centre but is now demolished. Note the fine pair of lattice post signals on the left.