ITEMS -  TOTAL  check order

Haymarket Motive Power Depot, Edinburgh

cover illustration
Haymarket Motive Power Depot, Edinburgh
A History of the Depot, its Work and Locomotives, 1842-2010

Harry Knox

208 pages. 275x215mm. Printed on gloss art paper, casebound with printed board covers.

ISBN13 : 9781899889587

£24.99


contents and extra information for this book »

Built in 1842 as an engine shed for the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, Haymarket has served the railways that radiate from Edinburgh ever since. Haymarket locomotives and footplate crews partook in the Railway Races of 1895, and on the non-stops between Edinburgh and London before and after the Second World War. It is now the main DMU depot for Scotland. In this volume Harry Knox relates the full history of the depot, the motive power and the staff that have been based there, including analysis of the accidents and incidents in which they have been involved.

Haymarket Motive Power Depot, Edinburgh - Sample Images

cover illustration
Ex-NBR Atlantic No. 9878 Hazeldean stands at the top end of Haymarket. This was Tom Henderson's engine and was one of the three fitted with water scoops for working through to Newcastle. The date is just after 1930: the coaling plant is still new and in clean condition, and No. 9878 has by this date ben supplanted in the Top link by Gresley A1 No. 2563 William Whitelaw. In the right background is a rather decrepit NBR coach body, serving as the messing room for firedroppers a less than salubrious facility! Bill Lynn collection
cover illustration
Two Haymarket Class 47s fitted for push-pull working. Nos. 47711 Greyfriars Bobby and 47712 Lady Diana Spencer stand outside the east end of the depot on 25th July 1981, newly-pained and the first of the class to carry the large logo and numbers.courtesy Gavin Morrison