ITEMS -  TOTAL  check order

Archive Issue 61

cover illustration
Archive Issue 61


64 pages. 275x215mm. .

ISSN 1352-7991 61

£6.00

Contents: Adderley Street Gas Works by John Horne, p. 3; Burnhope Colliery & Village: Part Two by Colin E. Mountford, p. 11; More Kentish Paper Railway notes by Ian Pope, p. 25; Follow-up: TID Class Tugs at Portsmouth in the 1960s from Dave Russell, p. 33; J. J. Cordes & Co.: Nail Manufacturers 1835-1961 by Malcolm Johnson, p. 39; Heavens Light Our Guide: Portsmouth Trolleybuses by Juan E. de Rose, p. 55

Archive Issue 61 - Sample Images

cover illustration
From 'Adderley Street Gas Works': Two narrow boats, that nearest the bank being lettered B.S.A. on the side of the rear cabin, are moored beneath the coke shute and a telpher car is about to tip its load. It is likely that the coke is destined for the foundry at the Birmingham Small Arms plant. We are looking south and the big brick building is the 1909 retort house; the corrugated-iron shack at the right keeps the weather off the Babcock boilers. The cast-iron sectional tank at the right holds cyanogen liquor awaiting a boat, but probably not the bathtub-like boat seen here. The private footbridge linked the gas works to the coke plant in the east yard, out of sight to the left.
cover illustration
From 'Portsmouth Trolleybuses': Another of the 1936 Cravens bodied batch was 273 (RV9124), captured amid the hustle and bustle of London Road, North End. The 1959 series Vauxhall Cresta, which would have cost its owner just £1,014 when new, prepares to pass 273 at the bus stop. The Vauxhall’s trans-Atlantic styling contrasts sharply with the early post war ‘sit up and beg’ Standard 8 saloon in the foreground, which appears to be minus its radiator grill. Doubtless none of the passengers seen crowding onto the open rear platform of the trolleybus could ever have imagined the modern day demise of F. W. Woolworth, with it’s oh so typical British high street façade behind their backs, whilst the musical ‘South Pacific’ was the latest blockbuster hit at the pictures nearly half a century ago. Across the street next to Milwards shoe shop is the Thatched House pub at 95 London Road, which, originally owned by Miles Brewery, has existed on this site for some 150 years. Today it’s better known as ‘Thatcher’s Bar’ since its 2002 refit.